Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Trapped in Adelaide


Feeling a little trapped in Adelaide at the moment. The above empty scene, from a recent photo shoot, is from the old Wool Stores around Port Adelaide, it seems to reflect my state of mind! The Melbourne Art Fair 2008 has come and gone and I wasn't able to get there, which has not made me the happiest little squidgit on the planet. I do enjoy seeing which artists have been selected as the 'push' at the Fair. Meaning, the artists that are hot one Fair are not necessarily those that are the following Fair.

It is also South Australian Living Artists Week in Adelaide until the 17th August. I haven't found a lot to interest me this year and am disappointed that local artists are actually supporting SALA on SALE, which is akin to a jumble sale at the local markets for whatever you can sell your work for. I just think its demeaning and downgrades the integrity of the having a festival celebrating the artistic talent of the state.

Meanwhile, I am parking myself by the heater, closing the studio door and painting when I can, which does help to keep me sane.

4 comments:

Daniel Sanger said...

Sorry you weren't able to go to Art Melb - if it makes you feel any better I was 20 min away from the show and didn't make it :)

Trapped in Adelaide - sounds like a movie title.. You poor thing - Maybe explore somewhere you've never been to in Adelaide before - somewhere you'd never given a 2nd thought.

By the heater is one of my fav spots also - though I tend to fall asleep if I sit near too long..

hj said...

remembrance of Adelaide as a tourist ten years ago...
Nice blog!

This Painting Life said...

Thanks Helene :)

This Painting Life said...

Daniel...just 20 minutes away...so close, yet so far..I guess there is always next time...