Saturday, March 17, 2007

Swapping Art and the Collecting Bug

I've recently started to swap my art with other artists. I think its a great way to expand my collection and also get to know some artists better that might only otherwise be acquaintances. Some artists don't do this at all and obviously it has to be beneficial and equitable to both and the work is based on price and credibility of the artist.

I caught the collecting bug some years ago and I have purchased works by James Gleeson, Stewart McFarlane, Gary Baseman, Patricia Piccinini, Sharon Green, John Coburn, Rick Amor, Tom Alberts, Marcus Wills, Mark Ryden and many others but see the idea of a swap as something that also makes sense. All artists should try and do it!

I've always struggled to purchase art and have pleaded with dealers to let me pay things off, most of whom have been more than generous with time payments. There was the Peter Booth I missed out on because Chris Deutscher wouldn't let me pay it off! I still regret not having a Booth to this day.



I absolutely love Patricia Piccinini's work and particularly this image that I have of hers, "Waiting for Jennifer" it combines my love of cars, strange creatures and the bonus of a not too bad a looking male starring lead in the drivers seat. I met Patricia once and she explained to me who the person was in the car and how the photo came about...its great to know the history behind an artwork sometimes.

3 comments:

Simon Collins said...

I've made one decent art swap with an interstate artist, it was a very rewarding experience and highly recommended. My work isn't quite what you'd describe as collectible, so it was an offer I couldn't refuse. But I hope one day it is and I'll certainly be in a better position to feed that bug and make swap offers. Untill then the odd purchase is just as gratifying. It's hard to imagine any serious artist, painters especially not bitten by the bug. Is there a swap offer ettiquitte?

This Painting Life said...

As far as ettiquitte goes I think it just has to be 'fair', meaning both parties feel happy and good about the swap. I suggest if either party becomes unhappy during the transaction it shouldn't proceed as its not worth the ill-feeling between colleagues. Also, life-draw, the work doesn't need to be 'collectible' but rather of equal to what it is being swapped for. Many a good work isn't on tick list! A good work is a good work and should be judged on its merits. That said, obviously, a big name artist isn't going to swap with a starry eyed art student who's work hasn't developed yet.

michelle giacobello said...

I love the art swap, and just wish there was some sort of central bank where you could lodge a work, and get credits in some way.....

It's always so icky making that overture personally, and tricky if that person doesn't like your work, or you don't like what's being offered in return.